madame butterfly

Madame Butterfly was an extremely interesting video. It was a ver abstract way of conveying emotions of tragedy and pain that I found at many parts confusing. The piece's long, wailing melody only magnifies the sorrow. It says more than a narrator could without using a word.I am not sure what to make of the video.

My first question is what happened to the guy in the story? I thought he died, then he came back and stole his ex girl's child from her. And why was his back seat full of random kids? Which raises me to my next question, where did that baby come from in the first place? She was a fish, then she was a human. And then she raises this child in the middle of nowhere. If I had to try and make it poetic, it could represent her hope that her lover will come back. She nurtured the hope wherever she went, she raised it. She carried it around on a string and sometimes it carried her.

When her former lover came back with another woman, he ripped her hope away from her. I'm not sure why the other kids where there, but thats beside the point. When he leaves with her hope of a future with the man she loved, she begins to break down. She violently rips herself apart and detaches from the world. She doesn't want to feel pain or love of any other emotions, She remakes herself into a butterfly,  a creature that once spread her joy that she hopes to spread to others. Perhaps the joy she hopes to find for herself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Performance Art

Final Project

Introduction